__________________________________________________________________________________________________________ __________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Friday, February 26, 2010

My Heart is Sick.... with 106 fever

Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body. ~ Elizabeth Stone

As most of you who follow our blog know, this is my favorite quote. When I had my babies, my heart was divided into four pieces and each of my children holds a piece of my heart. My heart is only complete when I know all of my kids are safe and happy.

Tuesday morning, Cody woke up with a fever. It was a little over 101, so I started the Tylenol and Motrin and watched him. I typically give a fever three days to resolve before calling the pediatrician. His fever went as high as 103.3 over the next two days, but came back down to 101 with medicine. On Thursday, he woke with 101.7, he got his Tylenol and later fell asleep on my lap. He woke from his nap with 104.9. I immediately called the ped. and she advised me to put him into a tepid bath for 10 minutes then call her back with a new temp. His fever went down to 103.3. We scheduled a 2:00 appointment and Cody fell back asleep. When I woke him to get him ready for the appointment his fever was 105.3. We flew to the appointment upon arrival his fever was 105.5. He was checked for the flu and strep because his throat looked raw, but both tests were negative. Rather than send us to a lab for blood tests, the ped wanted to send us to the emergency room. She took another temp which was 106. Now, we couldn't go to the ER until we got his temp down. We put him in a sink behind the nurses station (something which had never been done at their practice) and he screamed for 10 minutes while we poured water over his shoulders. We then left for the ER with 105.5 fever. Upon arrival, we sat about 15 minutes before they took his temp and it had come down to 103.3. By the time they saw us again, his fever was rising again and he was a little oven. They drew blood and retested him for strep. The ER ped was 98% sure it was strep based on this throat. He then got a double whammy dose of Tylenol and Motrin and we were told to sit for an hour and let the meds work. An hour later, no strep, fever was down to 100.3 and they sent us home to manage his fever with an increased dosing schedule of Tylenol and Motrin. NO ANSWERS!!!! They have cultures which will take up to 5 days to grow and potentially provide an answer, but he woke up fever free this morning (with meds).... hallelujah. I don't know why, I am just giving thanks to God. so I am planning to wean him off the meds this afternoon and see how he does. None the less, yesterday was scary, exhausting, and very emotional...... My husband also got an eye opening as to how hard it is at times to be a Mommy as I had to hold Cody down with him screaming & fighting for temp checks, nasal and throat swabs, a cold bath, and blood tests. It really shook him up and he told me he was sorry he didn't appreciate this aspect of motherhood.

UPDATE: It's 7:15 PM and Cody's fever is back up to 102.7....

Here are photos trying to get his fever down the 1st time after I could tell he was feeling better:
Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.